Visiting the BDR
Given the current situation regarding the recent coronavirus disease (COVID-19) in Japan, all site visits to BDR will be cancelled for the time being. We will be keeping a close eye on the developments of the coronavirus situation, and will reopen the Center for site visits when deemed safe to do so. We will make an announcement on this page when the BDR is able to host site visits again.
(Updated February 2021)
As the COVID-19 epidemic in Hyogo prefecture and other regions is still ongoing, we are unfortunately unable to restart our site visit program yet.
For those interested in our facilities or research, we have released some "Virtual lab tours" and "Interview with scientist" videos on our YouTube channel. We hope you will enjoy them in your home or classroom. For educational users, if you have any questions please feel free to contact us at bdr-riken[at]ml.riken.jp.
Please replace [at] with @.
Note: When you access the links below, the videos will autoplay with sound.
Interview with Scientists(Japanese with English subtitles)
- View the dynamic motion of cells in three-dimensional images!
- Automation of science
- Discover the rules for making shapes!
- Making skin, growing hair ~Challenges of organ regeneration
Virtual lab tours(In Japanese, but you can explore inside our laboratories)
- Laboratory for Synthetic Biology & Laboratory for Mouse Genetic Engineering
- Laboratory for Phyloinformatics
- Laboratory for Comprehensive Bioimaging
About the site visit program (currently suspended as noted above)
The RIKEN BDR accepts applications for group visits to the Center. If your group is interested in a site visit to the RIKEN BDR, please read the following information and submit your application via email.
Individuals who wish to visit the BDR are encouraged to join a free, regularly scheduled group tour organized by the Kobe Biomedical Innovation Cluster (Japanese language only) or to visit the Center during the annual Open Day. For inquiries regarding visiting the Yokohama campus, please look at this link.
Regarding site visits:
- In principle, the BDR can only host visits by groups of 5–40 people. For groups under 5 or over 40 people, please consult the BDR before submitting your application.
- Visitors must be at least of high school age and above.
- Site visits will be given in English or Japanese by a science communicator. For other languages, please arrange your own interpreter.
- Visits can be arranged on weekdays between 10:00 AM to 4:00 PM.
- Visits generally are 30–90 minutes long.
Model schedule (can be modified as necessary)
30-minute visit: Overview of BDR activities
60-minute visit: Overview of BDR activities + observation of samples
90-minute visit: Overview of BDR activities + observation of samples + exhibit room
We normally do not arrange for lectures given by researchers or arrange tours of the laboratories.
Site visits are free. (Visitors are responsible for their own travel expenses to the Center.)
- Please consult the BDR in advance, if you require special assistance due to reduced mobility or a disability.
- In principle, we do not accept applications from organizers who are arranging visits for commercial (for-profit) purposed.
- We may not be able to accommodate all site visit requests due to prior engagements
- We may take photographs during the site visit that will be used on our website, SNS sites, etc. as part of our PR activities. Please inform us at the time of application or on the day of the visit, if you do not wish to be photographed.
Regarding application procedure:
- Please fill-in and submit the application form by email to the address below.
- Applications will be accepted from three months to up until ten days before the requested site visit date.
- We will send a reply to the contact email address listed on the application form regarding whether or not we can accommodate your request and details of the site visit.